The 1st Swiss Concours d’Elégance attracted over 2,300 visitors this weekend at the Château de Coppet. On Sunday, a large audience came to assist to the spectacular arrival of 14 racing Bugattis and the award ceremony, with the spectacular Lamborghini Miura P400 SV being awarded the prestigious Best of Show Trophy. The works of six young artists seduced the jury within the context of the drawing contest sponsored by Caran d’Ache. The next edition is already scheduled on 17 & 18 June 2017
The 1st Swiss Concours d’Elégance, born under Mathias Doutreleau’s impulse, who directed the famous event The Quail, a motorsport gathering in the USA, kept its promise. 53 exceptional automobiles and numerous participants in period dress, revived a Geneva tradition: the concours d’élégance organised between 1924 and 1954 on the quays of Geneva. A true open-air museum celebrating the historical and cultural heritage of automobile, the event paid tribute to genuinely, rarely seen masterpieces. A Hispano Suiza H6B Boulogne, a unique PicPic R2 model, Ferraris, 1930-1935 racing Bugattis, Mercedes 300 SL, and other remarkable vehicles competed in beauty and technicality to animate the parc of the Château de Coppet.
Over 2’300 visitors, including 1’500 persons on Sunday (public day) came to admire classical automobiles, to assist to the jury members’ meticulous work, as well as the spectacular arrival of 14 racing Bugattis of the 30s. Associated themes dedicated to mechanical art also contributed to the success of the event, such as the Zenith exhibition of Haute Horlogerie timepieces as well as the artistic creations of famous Fine Art Photographers.
Winners of the 12 classes
The automobiles participating in the Concours d’Elégance were divided into twelve excellency classes defined by the president of the jury, Adolfo Orsi (jury member of the Villa d’Este Concours) and the honorary president of the jury, Ed Gilbertson (honorary judge of the Pebble Beach Concours), as well as five exceptional awards. The prestigious Best of Show Trophy was awarded to the Lamborghini Miura P400 SV owned by the Rossomiura Collection.